Friday, June 26, 2009

Reverse Culture Shock

My first instance in dealing with reverse culture shock was in the San Fransisco Airport. I forgot how rude people can be especially in airports. I was so used to the Japanese style service which is something unforgettable and under appreciated. My luggage ripped on transport in Japan. So I had to haul my broken luggage across the freaking terminal trying to find someone to help me. It was stressful because I had a connecting flight in less than two hours. In Japan, I felt like they would had a bag in their pocket and some tape at the bag check in for cases like mine but not in America. After what felt like forever, I found someone nice enough shove my crap into a plastic bag and send it on its merry way to Boston. Come back Japan!

My second instance of reverse culture shock was at my local branch trying to exchange my remaining yen to dollars. Something about being called honey and the casualness of my conversation with the bank teller struck me. In Japan I would be expected Keigo or honorific language (which I can't understand anyway) but in America its a bit rude but also warming I guess.

The fact that I can understand everything in English is also disappointing. Maybe that is also a part of reverse culture shock.

I also have yearnings for Japanese TV. It is just as bad as American TV but I find it much more amusing. I'm trying to find a way to watch Japanese TV again through my laptop.

No comments: