Tuesday, April 7, 2009

reality - genjitsu (現実)

Yesterday was such a surreal moment for me. I'm more than midway in to the study abroad program and I'm hitting the plateau of just becoming adjusted. Last night, I had to register for classes at my home university. It was sad for me realize that I have to go home soon. I also had to start looking for internships because I'm late in the game. Right now my school work is piling up. I have a panel discussion to lead and two research and presentation projects. Keeping up is hard because I don't do all nighters anymore.

Spring has official started and it is starting to feel nice outside. In Japanese culture, spring is the start of new beginnings especially the new school year. Outside of the CIE last week although it was very windy and cold I was able to see parts of opening ceremony of the freshman gaidaisei. Right now it is still orientation but the upperclassmen gaidaisei don't start classes until the 13th. I think today was the beginning of the school year for all public school kids because on my way to school I saw a flood of high school students on bikes.

Last weekend was Hanami or flower viewing. I was supposed to go to Osaka for hanami but bailed because it was raining hard. I'm planning to go somewhere this weekend to catch a glimpse of the last of hanami. But all around Hirakata you can see all the trees in bloom. Ah I really need to take pictures but I have to much homework.

But I do have more plans while I am in Japan.
I just joined the shodobu! (Japanese Calligraphy Club) My kanji handwriting sucks. It starts on Monday. So we'll see how it goes.
Sat...somewhere for Hanami maybe Osaka or Kyoto
This Sunday I am going to do shiohigari or clam gathering at the beach!
On the 25th this month I am going to a Yukata/Bon Odori party...
Golden week is coming so a lot of stuff will be happening.

More pictures later...

No comments: