Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Flower Viewing in the Storm Mountain - arashiyama ni hanami shita (嵐山に花見した)

I don't know if people noticed it yet but I'm doing the literal translation of the places I've been to.

Anyways...for Flower viewing I went to one of the most famous places for it...Arashiyama, Kyoto. I bought a one day pass that was around 1,400 yen which meant that I could ride the keihan train line as many times as I wanted.

When we went it was surprisingly hot. Luckily, there was a river next to our spot.

We had a potluck for lunch. It was a lot of homemade food made with love:) I bought drinks for everyone...the non-alcoholic kind.


We had one of the best spots for flower viewing. Our group was next to the river and under a Sakura tree. Since we went near the end of the flower viewing season, every time the wind blew the petals flew in the air. It was such a surreal yet beautiful moment.


After eating lunch, we decided to play in the river. There were a lot of children in the river with us. The water was really cold and the floor of the river was rough and if you were not careful it could hurt. This was probably was the highlight of the day because we were splashing around on a really warm day. The view was amazing from the river.


There is a lot to see in Arashiyama like the traditional style train that you can ride on, monkeys...but we just went through the bamboo forest. I felt like I was in an anime or a Chinese fighting movie. Bamboo forests are a nice relief from the sun because its dark and cool.



So that was my day in Arashiyama.

No comments: