Monday, March 16, 2009

umeboshiyaki (梅干焼き)

This was the beginning of my haruyasumi or Spring Break. On the 14th my speaking partner Sae invited me to her place for a Takoyaki party. Takoyaki is a famous dish in the kansai region. It is a snack food that consists of dough, cabbage, eggs, and a filling. The most typical filling is octopus or tako (hence the name takoyaki.) The kanji for yaki means to bake or cook. Well since tako is too expensive Sae decided to use umeboshi instead. So it was umeboshiyaki instead of takoyaki.
(To make takoyaki you need a special pan for it. I want to see if I can buy a small one to bring home)

And the result is...
Metcha Oishikatta. It was very delicious. I ate a lot of Umeboshiyaki. I had a lot of fun that night because we played music, watched tv, and drank a bit. I met some of Sae's friends and they were really easy to talk to. I was able to practice a lot of Japanese.

I'm going to try to learn how to make takoyaki. It doesn't seem that hard. I want everyone to try it at least once. Takoyaki is one of my favorite Japanese food. Right now, I'm craving some tako/umeboshiyaki.

After the break, I'm going to teach some of my Japanese friends how to make pizza. In Japan Pizza costs as much as $45. It's ridiculous and it isn't that hard to make. I hope it works out. Later I'm going to post my haruyasumi day trips to Osaka, Kobe, and Koyasan. I have lots of pictures to post.

No comments: