Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Doll Festival - hina matsuri (鄙祭り)

On March 3rd I was a princess for a day:)

Hina Matsuri is a Japanese holiday celebrating the health and good fortune of young girls. My okaasan decided to celebrate it in my honor. It was really nice of her. After reading some stuff, she really followed tradition. Girls on this day usually receive hima-ningyo or dolls but I think I'm too old for that. Anyways, I had a really nice meal instead. The family (minus otousan because he was working) made chirashizuke which is like sushi ball topped with rice vinegar, lotus root, seaweed, carrots, and sweet, pink furikake like thing. I also ate a soup full of clams and raw scallops and tuna.Whatever it was, it was delicious. I also received arare which is soy-sauce flavored crackers. It is pretty delicious hence the reason why the bag is half full in the picture.

So what I have I been up too...

Well, my social life in Japan is actually busy for the first time in my life. I'm partying and socializing more here. I lead an easy going life here. I don't know if I'll ever have an experience like this again. I'm very lucky to eat delicious homemade food everyday and not have to worry too much about money.

Oh yeah I got a haircut in Japan. I went with a friend and a Japanese friend who acted as a translator. The picture about is after when I got the haircut. You really can't tell but I reversed my haircut. Before it was long in the front and short in the back. Now it is the opposite. I want it to grow out while I am in Japan. My okaasan was really nice and helped me write directions on how to cut my hair. The guy didn't really give me what I actually wanted but whatever.(I'm in the middle.)

No comments: