Saturday, May 9, 2009

Skit-sukitto(スキット)

I'm updating a lot because I'm procrastinating. I have a research paper I have to write but...this is more fun.

During golden week, I spent four days working on a video skit for speaking Japanese. My partner and I came up with the concept and a rough script but during the weekend of Golden Week we had to tape it. The deal was I would handle all the technological stuff and he would do majority of the acting. It was a good compromise. We didn't have to do a video skit but I can't act. So with a video skit I could mess up as many times as I wanted and string all the parts that I liked.

In our skit we had to use a lot of grammar points we had learned over the semester. We decided to make a parody of some sorts of a move called..."In to the woods" where the main character decides to run away to Alaska and live by himself away from society. My partner would be the depressed main character who is studying abroad in Japan. He complains to his roommate (played by me.) I listen to his ridiculous complains (I can't do Japanese grammar, a typhoon came to my house, my cat died, I'm hungry.) Really, I'm just apathetic and offer bad advice (if you cry, it will make you feel better.)

Later he is wandering around saying that he wants to run away and find himself. Kamisama (god) comes and tells him to go on a journey (what he wanted to do in the first place.) But he does the Japanese style of saying no by giving a series of reasons of why he can't (My teacher gives to much homework and I don't have a map.) Kamisama gets angry and tells him to listen to him.

Main character is scared into it but later gets into it. He throws away all his stuff and decides to give some things to his roommate like I heart Osaka Shirt (in kanji.) He packs for his journey. The last scene is when I'm going into the dorm but he is leaving. I'm confused because he says Sayonara when I said Konbanwa. So I try to convince him out of leaving with reasons like you might die or get eaten by a bear. He is unfazed and goes on. THE END.

Dumb story I know but I used all the grammar points in the script. The video turned out nice. It had narration and Japanese subtitles and translation under it. It is not perfect because I got sick of working on if after awhile. After the Golden Week Wakayama trip, this is pretty much what I did until I went to the Maid Cafe on the last day of Golden Week.

What did I learn:
I learned how to edit video using Roxio VideoWave.

You can add Japanese subtitles to any video using freeware Dixv Media Subtitler (assuming you already installed IME.) If you don't have Shift JIS keyboard (basically a Japanese computer or keyboard) Just remember to do this if you have a PC running Windows. Linux users have it 10x easier. MAC users sorry can't help you.
control panel>regional language and option>advanced> (unicode drop menu) japanese
Then you should be able to add Japanese subtitles

Video editing is a long and painful process. Learning to add subtitles was useful but annoying because I'm cheap and depend on freeware.

No comments: