Sunday, February 1, 2009

Comfortable - kiraku (気楽)

I don't know why but I have been for Japan for only a week but I feel very comfortable here. Today I moved into my host family's home in Nagao. It is near Osaka but it is not that far from the school. My family consists of a okaasan, papa, obachan, and 7 year old brother (ototo which is a younger brother.) Everyone is really sweet and I seem to fit in very well. I have my own room and I have no curfew. Tomorrow I have to bike to school so...ganbare!

My time in Japan is going fast. I can already sense it. Since my last post, orientation is finally over. To enjoy my last few days of free time I went to Kyoto on Friday and Hirakata City on Saturday. For the Kyoto tour, groups were paired up with with a Kansai Gaidai student. My group ended up with eight people half Japanese students and half Americans (and one boy.) We went to a shrine (Kiyomizu) then eating takoyaki followed by purikura and eating at a cafe. The Japanese students showed us how to used the trains.Throughout the trip, I was proud of myself because I was able to force myself to speak Japanese. I was able to hold semi-decent conversations. It was a confidence booster.

The next day I went to Hirakata City to go shopping and afterwards went to a karaoke place. While shopping I had a good sense of where my Japanese skills lacked. I need to learn more vocab to express myself more. I also did my first splurge in Japan. Everyone in Japan seems to dress very well. I felt like I stood out in my sneakers, jeans, and t-shirts. While in Japan, I want to learn how to dress better and one of the first steps is shoes. So...I spent 3,500 yen on a nice pair of boots. After that, I finally tried Japanese styled Karaoke with one Japanese and American friend. The verdict: karaoke ga daisuki! (I love karaoke.) Even though I suck at singing. My Japanese friends was amazingly good at it...she put me and my American friend to shame. I tired to sing a few Japanese songs but in the end it was mainly English songs. That will change soon!

I just had nabe for dinner and a delicious dessert. Ah oishiikatta! I also tried the Japanese bath too. So far so good for the first time in a homestay.

No comments: